Max speaks with Doug Vosik, Senior VP of Marketing & Communications/CMO at the Houston Texans football team. They discuss how to build fan engagement, including the necessity of changing the message depending on whether the team wins or loses, and the complexity involved in satisfying each fan's unique needs. They also talk about how the back office integrated data feeds into real-time dashboards and what the future of channel optimization will look like.
- Doug's journey to sports marketing after working at Virgin, and why a sneaker obsession helped him get his foot in the door.
- The variety of verticals that a CMO of a sports team interacts with on a daily basis, from classic marketing functions, to community engagement, to entertainment at the stadium.
- How engaging fans changes depending on whether the team is winning or losing and how lifecycle marketing is driving fans to become season ticket holders.
- How taking a chance on a fun marketing video turned a team's season around.
- The "complexity of satisfaction" and why you need data to learn what each fan wants and how to cater to it.
- How the Texans' SVP of Business Analytics collected their data feeds into one real-time dashboard on Tableau.
- Where the future of marketing channels is going and the importance of moving away from channels that are dying to channels where fans actually spend their time.