Max speaks with Stephanie Horton, Senior Director of Global Consumer Marketing, Commerce at Google. They discuss how marketers should meet customers where they are on various channels, why you should focus on testing and experimenting with your channel mix, and how customer retention comes from solving customer pain points. They also talk about working with your product team to create the customer journey, how to get creative when there are budget constraints, and why marketers should prioritize gaining experience, not job titles.
- The path of Stephanie's career, from starting in finance, to becoming CMO of Farfetch, to Google inviting her to become the Senior Director of Global Consumer Marketing.
- How to effectively approach your channel mix, and why it's crucial to try new channels, yet test and learn as you go.
- The importance of retention and solving customer pain points, especially at a maturing brand like Google.
- How the marketing team works with the product team to understand the customer journey and create a better value proposition.
- Why the biggest challenge to marketing today is constrained budgets, and how that can push you to be creative.
- Advice to young marketers on why it's better to chase after experiences than job titles.